Sunday, August 4, 2013

WOFEX 2013



I had been planning to go to WOFEX for this year as it has been two years since I last went. I've been meaning to go with my college friends, but with friends like them, I know the surest way to be on schedule is not to wait for them. It was the best decision I did that day as they arrived two hours late, just in time to see the event end. I took my brother and got there around 3:30 pm only to see that a lot of the event participants are either gone, fixing up, or not interested in dealing with people any more. They were not shy to admit that their priority were the guests who showed up the first three days and that the paying public on the last day will only have to make do with what's left of their products. Oh well, true enough most people who went there were only interested in the free food samples, including me. 


I remember listening to a lecture on how to drink and appreciate coffee, including how to brew and make a proper hand-drip coffee. The barista lecturing said to a girl, "Tuturuan kita kung pano uminom ng kape." ("I'll teach you the proper way of drinking coffee.") And the girl goes, "Gusto ko lang po lang libreng kape." ("But I only want free coffee.")

In another place I heard a man mumbling, "Puro pala mga equipment yung nandito...saan kaya yung mga pagkain?" 

I also heard a couple going, "Ang saya-saya! Ang daming free samples!"

Then one of those comments that made me laugh on the inside were a group of senior citizens talking among themselves and it went like this:
SC1: "Tinawagan kase ako ni Tess sabi may kainan daw kaya pumunta ako."
SC2: "Oo nga, akala ko kung sino may birthday kaya nagmadali ako kase sabi maraming handa."
SC3: "Akala ko naman kung anung handa, yun pala puro mga tikim-tikim lang."
SC4: "Pero kahit pakonte-konte lang nabusog ako ha!"
SC1: "Ngayon punta na naman tayo ng SMX, baka marami pang pagkain dun!"

And thus, I understand why exhibitors don't bother staying on the last day. To the public's eye, WOFEX is an event to sample free food around the world.

The expo had so many participants that they had to split the whole thing into two venues, the World Trade  and SMX in Mall of Asia. The organizers were kind enough to provide a free shuttle service to and fro the venues. You also only need one pass for both event locations.









My friend wanted to take this home for display.


Some exhibitors come unsure when their products will be available to the market, and some don't really know how to explain what they're selling...

The WOFEX is a combination of several activities other than holding an exhibit. They also offer seminars, on the spot lectures, sell products at a lower cost, give out flyers, have contests and challenges, have celebrity guests, and of course give away freebies.

In a span of four hours, I was beat but full. At the end of the day, the P150.00 entrance fee was a bargain. I even got to buy some essential oils at P55.00 which usually costs P100.00 in Cooks Exchange. I also bought a Laughing Cow spread for only P20.00!! Of course it's gonna be expired in the next few days, so I'll have to eat it soon. Also a Buy1Take1 vodka, and some new organic drinks.



This is a basic lecture on coffee. Coffee is not just bitter.

Most stalls were left empty by the last day.

We waited for an 80% discount for this salmon. It didn't happen.

Some of Junichi's latte art. So pretty...the more the latte sits, the darker it gets.

Junichi Yamaguchi, Latte Art World Champion 2013

They were selling the machine, all I could afford were their free truffles.

Hand painted wedding cake.

Everything is made of bread, even the baskets out back.

One mom pinched the cake to see if it was icing. So Pinoy!

People just love to poke the cake that a lot of delicate pieces fell off.

I love Mama Sita's new brand look and packaging!

Cotton candy is being spinned three meters away.

No comments: