Sunday, August 4, 2013

Juk: Korean Rice Porridge





This is a pretty product that soothes your tummy. It's only 140 calories for 288g of porridge, but it's enough to fill you up. I had this for lunch because I wasn't in the mood to cook nor did I want to eat an overpowering meal. No, I don't do diets. It has chunks of real sliced abalone (I think,) but I only found four pieces of abalone since it isn't cheap unlike the seaweed which they happily packed in abundance. 


This is comfort food because it is both familiar because it's porridge, yet also different from our traditional lugaw because it contains carrots, abalone, sesame oil, sesame seeds, and lots of nori powder. It's good for you because I know how health conscious Koreans are. The taste is light but filling. My tummy didn't bother me for the next four hours. It tastes somewhat close to the porridge they serve in Korean restos and that's a good thing...but of course for obvious reasons, nothing beats a dish cooked from scratch. This one is just an alternative to those who don't have the patience to cook or want to go out and blow up cash for a bowl of porridge. They have other flavors available such as vegetables, pumpkin, abalone, and...those were the only three I remember. 

Costs Php152.00 and found in Korean groceries--I know, it's not cheap!



When you remove the cap, this is what's in it.


I don't read Korean so I simply poured everything in.


Turns out, I did the right thing...but I'm not sure. Looks right though.

No comments: