Saturday, August 10, 2013

Lusso by Margarita Forés



When my friend asked me where we could dine at Greenbelt I made a couple of recommendations, but then she dared me to make the call and choose a restaurant I haven't eaten in, and Lusso caught my attention after some quick research. Then I remembered that I've passed by Lusso a couple of times but I never seem to find the perfect dining buddy for the place until she agreed to treat me here. Turns out Lusso is also under the culinary team of Margarita Forés (CIBO!!!!) Perfect!


When I said it kinda of a French-inspired,our conversation went something like:

"What do they serve here?"
"French-American food of sort."
"Ohhh..."
"OMG I need to learn French food terms so that I won't look stupid in front of the waiter!"
"I'll just point on the menu my order."
"We might end up like Mr.Bean and get served with raw meat."



Luxe Demi-Pound Burger (Php795.00)


Well, the day came and the only thing that came to mind was the Demi-Pound Burger because one, it has foie gras and two, ordering it will not require me so say a French word because it's very American. Besides, our server recommended it when he noticed we were ordering other random things on top of the buzz about it online. The dish came and I was immediately overwhelmed by the size of the patty. When I sliced it in half I realized it was so thick because they placed a good slab of foie gras in the middle. Being the expensive food that it is, I shall describe foie gras according to my level of culinary comprehension  It tastes like liver (because it is) except that the texture is that of the melt-in-your-mouth bone marrow. It's soft and fatty, and slightly reminds of ox brain that I love so much. So yeah, it tastes like a cross between beef marrow and chicken liver. It was the first burger I had wherein the patty was much thicker and bigger than the bun. With it came a simple green salad with a very light vinaigrette and thick-cut fries. What can I say? It was a premium burger topped with caramelized Prosecco onions and cambozola sauce on the side. You get to choose how well or rare your burger is done according to...my safest choice is always medium-done...and I was so full at the end of the meal that I wasn't able to consume the fries nor the bread.



Luxe Mac and Cheese


The Luxe Mac and Cheese tastes nothing like the boxed kind you buy in the groceries. The cheese was light and creamy and not yellow. It's formaggio trio, thus is composed of three cheeses, topped with bits of Pancetta. The consistency is thick and clung onto the gramigna pasta pretty nicely. 



Veal Cannelloni (New on their menu)


We also had veal cannelloni which tasted nice and cheesy. The veal tasted real young and unsaturated with age...but I don't really know how to describe it except that it was a medium-light pasta because it was meaty, but the meat wasn't overpowering that's why it's also light.



Luxe Fries with Truffle Mushroom Cream (Php270.00)


The Luxe Fries with truffle mushroom cream was good, but the cream didn't pack a truffle punch, more like a subtle aftertaste. But to the dish's defense, the truffle taste does linger even after consuming the thick-cut potato fries.



Pan-Seared Salmon


The Pan-Seared Salmon with orange salt, champagne cream, and lumpfish caviar duet was also okay. I mean, salmon is salmon, except that this one was very slightly overcooked that it didn't crumble like butter. They were a bit generous on the caviar and the French string beans though. Not sure I tasted the orange salt. I suppose my palette is a little inferior to taste the subtlest of flavors.



Complementary bread sticks




The place was empty as we were the first customers at 11am, but the place didn't remain empty for the duration of our meal. Diners don't linger though...maybe it was the whole vibes of the place, it's more for dining than hanging in. Overall, I say the meal tasted cheesy...I think they love their cheese...maybe because it's French? But cheese is always good, especially the high-quality ones.


Lusso is at Greenbelt 5, 
Legaspi Street, Legaspi Village, 
Makati City

No comments: