Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Pet Peeve # 523 and # 274



On my way home last night, while riding the jeepney on a rush hour, several men attempted to skip the idea of lining up and waiting for one's turn to hitch a ride home and simply grab on the jeep's back without thought. This is a typical scene every night, men jumping on the backs of jeeps and clinging on like monkeys. It just so happened that I was in the front seat and the driver kept screaming at them to get off, but they insist on doing the stunt to get home early and possibly die along the way. The driver told me that not too long ago, five men were grabbing onto the bar when it snapped causing all five to fall off the jeep. Good thing no one died, but if anything gruesome happened to them the driver is the one to blame when it's those men who chose to be stupid. I know this practice has been banned in some parts of the country, but apparently it's fine in Taguig...and those freakin' kids also mimic what these stupid men do. Seriously, I've also heard a driver once stating that one of his fellow driver was not aware that one of the men making sabit on the back of his jeep had fallen off and died. I'm not saying good riddance, but I am also saying that stupid actions result to stupid deaths. I'm glad drivers are more strict when it rains because the steel bar becomes slippery and chances of an accident is assured. 





With my Pet Peeve # 523 said, comes the reason why it is so is because of my Pet Peeve # 274. Although I love the fact that jeepenys are known the world over as this exotic Pinoy vehicle, riding it on a daily basis has allowed me to experience the flaw of its design. It has elements that cause injuries on occasion...I for one have had a number of self-inflicted pains in the process of getting on and off the jeep. The top injury I have is bumping my head on those lights bulging off the center of ceiling...and I'm not the only one as I've seen/heard people painfully hit their bunbunan more often than not. There was even one event wherein a man smashed the light bulb with his head. 

Another hazard are those bars that allows passengers to make sabit at the back. Some are specifically designed for maximum abuse. If the jeeps don't have such elements, then stupid men would have nothing to hold on to, so the sabitan would cease. 

So why do they keep making them? We live in a democracy.

I wish there would be a company that could standardize the designs of jeepeneys and make them something cooler than just random whatevers being stuck together until--TAH-DA!

No comments: