Monday, August 26, 2013

Mortal Instruments: City of Bones



I kinda-sorta liked Mortal Instruments the movie since I wasn't able to read the book. I'm not crazy about it, but I do like the whole concept of involving angels and demons and other folkloric characters...I'm not so giddy about werewolves and vampires though, but they'll work as extras...so fine! To my friends who read the book though, they felt betrayed as the movie confused them in a way that they didn't know what was going on since the movie did its own version of combining books 1 and 2 while deleting scenes in between. Can't relate!



I liked the cast, except for Jaime Campbell Bower who can't seem to get his sarcasm right! He may physically look the part, but playing it he seems too serious that he turns sarcastic lines into bitter-egotistic statements that I almost don't like him. My friends were utterly disappointed by that fact. Sad. 

Another flaw I noticed besides the Harry Potter-like setting is the script. It was bad...especially when Jace uttered, "Remember when I said I don't believe in angels?" or something--that was so cheesy it was like a fourteen year old writing her first fanfiction! Urgh! I asked my friends if the author really wrote that on the book and they said no...that confirmed my thoughts, there's something off with the script. Just baaaad.

But besides that, it was fine since there were a lot of action scenes with cool crystal weapons and fantasy theories going on throughout the story. I only wish on the next installment Jaime could get his sarcasm right as it is a vital thing to making me love a character. VERY!


2 comments:

Annie said...

I couldn't agree more with what you said about the Jace in the movies. I was looking forward to his acting since he didn't look like our Jace in the books, but I was really disappointed that the script didn't deliver therefore wasting their acting efforts.

I really hate that quote. I am cringing in and out when he uttered that line!

Rose said...

Yeah...me too, I wish I could unhear it -_-