Monday, May 6, 2013

Subspace Coffee House



Renowned as a Kpop themed café, and for their Purple Potato and Peanut Butter Lattes, I come here to escape the uniformity of other cafes. This is one of the few places I feel comfortable hanging in. It's a hole-in-the-wall cafe that seemingly looks like a furniture shop because of its uhm...er...furnitures. Actually, it is owned by the same guys who own the furniture shop Space Encounters not very far from the cafe.

This is one of the few places where your photos get out-dated every few months because they revamp the interior time and time again. Thus is the reason why I like dropping by once in a while just to see the new furbishing. I remember wanting to have my photo taken against their wall filled with chalk art, but there were people sitting in the area then, so I returned a few weeks later only to realize they had rubbed off the thing and placed some sort of photo on the wall. Crap. That was when I realized the place evolves. I love it.



The only thing that's unchanged, the bar and the wall menu.

Their freedom wall that changes through the months.


It's Eeeeeeeeeeve!

The pretty chalked wall I was talking about...


I'm a big fan of themed cafes ever since I saw it online. I've always wished for such cafes to pop up all over the inconvenient places just like a hole-in-the-wall kind of thing so that it cannot easily be accessed by the crowd, and that I can have my own private cup of coffee when I do go there. There were times when it does happen, while there are nights when I go home disappointed because there's not a seat available in sight--they have very limited seating. In the words of my friend, there are days when there’s no "space" is Subspace. Badum-tsk! Note that the place had been featured on several publications and show segments, so it’s no longer anonymous to many. It's best to come here around lunch time because I often come here at night.

I have a couple of friends who on occasion, would spontaneously go here to discuss updates on life, vent out frustrations at work, and swear on life's misery. We call it Subspace Night. No, I’m not trying to associate Subspace with misery…more of spontaneity; just as spontaneous as the café.

It’s these kinds of coffee shops that make me want my own place to mess around with. To know there’s a place like this is a bittersweet feeling. Sweet, because there is such a place that exists that isn't very out of reach. Bitter, because ain't mine. Gah!



I know, those are chairs buckled on the ceiling.

Rainy nights are best spent here




If anything, you should come here for the experience. But mind you, the food does not disappoint either; in fact I know the supplier for their confectioneries is as purple as their potato latte—if you know what I mean. I immediately affirmed this when I sampled their chocolate lava and lemon bar. The breads and sandwich whatevers are also available in case you're not into the sweet stuff. Don't expect a gourmet meal though, but as a cafe, such things are forgivable. If I could describe it...it tastes homemade and familiar, something you could whip up for brunch.

Also, it is noticeable that they are not really interested in hiring women to be their barista, thus men usually run the joint. Just saying…

And lastly, you can make a special request as to how you want your latte personalized...like my sheepig up there and the panda down here. 


Purple Potato Latte foamed with a happy panda

L-R: Chocolate Cake, Marshmallow Cake, and Cheesecake

Waffle with eggs, cheese, ham, mayo at lots of paprika

Lemon Bar

Chocolate Lava Cake (Php 110.00)



Unit 103, GF Grand Emerald Tower 
F. Ortigas Jr. Road, Ortigas Center, 
1606 Pasig City

No comments: