Sunday, April 21, 2013

Little Tokyo in Makati

The place makes you feel like you're in the Edo era. Love it!


Okonomiyaki

Little Tokyo is definitely on the top of my list when I crave for an authentic -tasting Japanese meal. The proof is in the unceasing presence of Japanese expats who huddle around the restos every time I’m there. It is a single-storey courtyard with a number of shops and restaurants that goes unnoticed right in the middle of Makati. This is where a number of cosplayers and anime enthusiasts come to shoot and be in their element; where foodies come to sample great food; and where I find the best Japanese groceries to binge on such as ice cream, cold cuts, beverages, snacks, condiments, and food-related stuff for only Php. 80.00.



Sticky Rice Ball something on sticks. It's weirdly chewy-savory-sweet. Like soy-honey.


I discovered this place way back, and I wanted to keep myself hushed about this secret find…but then I decided to blog about it now because I have nothing to talk about today…so why not this? To be honest though, I don’t know the name of the shops nor do I know how to get here without getting lost first, so I won’t talk about directions or shop names, I’ll just describe the experience and the food instead.



Grilled Fish Cake



They hold events, and can get quite crowded on the weekend.





The food is excellent, and that is guaranteed 100% as the restaurants are maintained with Japanese quality standards under the watchful eyes of their Japanese owners. Of course, that is to assume that all establishments are run by them…other than that, I’m not sure what I just wrote. The point is, it’s really good but also expensive. You cannot come here expecting to save on your meal. You come here to burn money and eat real Japanese food that you don’t get at Tokyo Tokyo or Teriyaki Boy for that matter.

It is ideal to come around 12nn or 6pm as shops are not too keen about opening the whole day. Better come with a camera and at least Php 1000.00 to enjoy your experience. The place isn’t always packed especially around lunch time, so you can have your privacy here.


Chicken Teriyaki

Grilled Fish Bento Box (P500.00)

Chashu Ramen (P350.00)


Each shop specializes on a dish, one for okonomiyaki, another for yakitori, a different place for sashimi, and you can get good ramen next door from there. This fact is a perfect excuse to come back to the place a second and a third time. Marketing strategy? Go figure, but I think to specialize on one thing and perfect it is a very Japanese thing. That’s why they don’t bother on extending their menu; they simply do justice in what they do best. This is what I love about Little Tokyo.

I definitely recommend this place to people who know how to appreciate good food and those on a lookout for a new find.


Strawberry and Blueberry Yogurt, Custard Pudding! (P80.00)

Mixed Sushi Set (P1,200.00)

Cold Soba Set with Tempura (P450.00) 

Yakitori

Takoyaki with octopus, pickled ginger, and vegetables. (P140.00 for 6 pcs) 

The takoyaki was good and very filling. It's got the works down to the bonito flakes.


Little Tokyo
2277 Pasong Tamo 
Corner Amorsolo Street, 
Makati City


No comments: