Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Mirrors by Justin Timberlake



Aren't you somethin' to admire, cause your shine is somethin' like a mirror
And I can't help but notice, you reflect in this heart of mine
If you ever feel alone and the glare makes me hard to find
Just know that I'm always parallel on the other side

Cause with your hand in my hand and a pocket full of soul
I can tell you there's no place we couldn't go
Just put your hand on the glass, I'll be tryin' to pull you through
You just gotta be strong


The first verse in most songs are almost always the most beautiful lines of the song. With the lyrics evening out into a repetitive streak come chorus, I've always noticed the first line as elegantly phrased to give out the general impression for the rest of the song. 

Mirrors is one of my favorite music videos because of the old couple featured. I loved how their wrinkly hand touched and how their stares were filled with so much love. I love those actors! 

But the defining lines to the song, like most songs, is contained within the hook:


Cause I don't wanna lose you now
I'm lookin' right at the other half of me
The vacancy that sat in my heart
Is a space that now you hold
Show me how to fight for now
And I'll tell you baby, it was easy
Comin' back into you once I figured it out
You were right here all along
It's like you're my mirror
My mirror staring back at me

The music video is like a mini-movie montage and the story is as beautiful and as emotional as its real life inspiration. Apparently the music video was dedicated to Justin Timberlake's grandparents who were married for 63 years until his grandfather's death last year.

It was said the his grandmother was moved to tears with the video...and it seems as though she wasn't the only one. :'( 

No comments: