Monday, June 3, 2013

Rustic Mornings by Isabelo



When dealing with breakfast--by that I mean the time of day wherein you eat the meal early in the morning and not the tapsilog you eat at 4 pm--it's best to be mentally aware that you have the rest of the day ahead to burn the calories you're about to take, thus you shouldn't hold back. Apparently on this faithful day we needed all the energy we could get for our day ahead at Pinto Museum because we didn't know what was coming.

We arrived starving...the kind wherein we ate popcorn for dinner the night before and a glass of water that morning before heading out to the resto. I say, when you're hungry and lack the proper brain protein, you tend to say funny things. Such was the case of my friend Cesca, who, was so frustrated with the heavy glass pitcher that she suddenly blurted, "Kainis, ambigat...pwede ko ba siyang basagin para gumaan?"

Of course, it would've been rude not to laugh at her suggestion, because we are those kind of friends.

The selection was good, the kind wherein you want to order at least three dishes just to satisfy your urge to try everything that sounds good. Thus, it is advisable to come with lots of friends for that very reason...but we apparently, unfortunately, all craved for waffles that morning. Dammit.


I must sit here next time!!!



The opposite view from where we sat.

We sat at the far corner because it was packed when we got there.


Getting there, our only landmark was the Shoe Museum...but we were there for breakfast so we skipped the museum and found ourselves in front of a big blue gate with a Rustic Mornings logo tarp attached to it. One look and you get the impression that the one who runs the place is an artist to a certain degree. This is apparently true when I read an article in llovermarikina that the owner used to be in advertising...either in creatives or in accounts, she gave up the field to pursue a greater love. And based on personal experiences, advertising people know what they want--they visualize it and make it happen, either on their own or ask people to do it for them. I can see that they know where they're going with their branding and it makes sense, very much. The place is filled with knickknacks and thinggymagiggles, but the thing that I do believe stood out were the multitude of perfume bottles stuck in corners or dangled on up. Art pieces were also consistently found throughout the venue.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that what I'm looking for in a restaurant these days is the interior and the ambiance, food is turning out to be secondary. I'm starting to scout out places worth hanging in and taking pictures, the taste of the food I can always tolerate as I'm learning to appreciate all kinds of flavors except really bad and soulless food. Anyway...

Rustic Mornings deliver a good ambiance with oldies tracks that were tastefully selected to aid aimless conversations. It's another one of those places that I am both thankful and envious of ever existing. There are a lot of tables available with ample distances; it gives you a feeling of privacy and exclusivity especially with a very homey setup. I love love love the interior of their resto...it clearly defines their term for rustic mornings. There's a lot of blue and white involved...and notice how they did the tiles on the floor? 

Their menu has a good layout, but their utensils were quite heavy that you need both hands to share your food with the person across the table. Each set of chairs and tables slightly differ from one another but is lovely to look at as a whole. It's that kind of thing that nothing makes sense that's why it makes sense altogether.


Waffles, Buffalo Chicken Strips, and Salad  (Php250.00)

Frothy Lemon Iced Tea (Php50.00)

Filipino Breakfast Tray: Beef Tapa (Php235.00)

Sausage Spaghetti bathing in olive oil (Php200.00)

Thanks for the chocolate Kat! :)

Crispy Waffle (Php150.00)


Food...they say their crispy waffles are the best sellers. I have no argument because they are good--light and crispy. Unlike other waffles that stretches out when pulled, this one can be heard crunching when sliced. Their homemade syrup was also so good that I had to drown my waffle with it on every bite.

The rice meals were also satisfying especially with the free-range eggs as made obvious by the almost-orange color of the yolk...it's just that I wasn't so crazy about their fried rice...could barely taste the garlic and the "friedness" of the rice. The meat was so-so...I describe it as home cooking--comfort food would be an appropriate term for it--you know, with a motherly touch on the taste.

ARGHHHHH! I missed on dessert because I was so stuffed by the time I ate a meal-and-a-half that I'd want to go back there someday soon. I'm thinking of dining in earlier than brunch as people do tend to come in groups so you're left to whatever seat is available by then. I'm still bitter I didn't get to eat indoors.


Open everyday, from 8am until 4pm.
#11 Isabelo Mendoza St. San Roque, 
Marikina City

*Disclaimer: some photos are by Cesca C.

No comments: