Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Commune at Salcedo



My brother asked me to come with him to Salcedo Village to shop at the weekend market last Saturday, so I thought I'd search for an interesting cafe while I'm at it since I don't come to the area often. This is what I found, an interestingly small cafe that's fairly new named Commune. Based on their Facebook page, they opened last April 22 of this year. As a word, "commune" means communicate intimately; but as a noun, it means "a place where you have great coffee." 



What caught my interest were two things, their interior and their coffee. It is claimed that they serve really good coffee. I made sure I went there early in the morning to be their first costumer. I arrived so early that the morning sun made me retreat to the far corner of the room. They also serve savory breakfast, but I had to eat something light since I'd be heading for the weekend market after my coffee. 

For starters, I ordered their 16oz. cappuccino which turned out to be a bad idea because I felt bloated after chugging down the whole thing. Turns out, 16 ounces is a whole lot of liquid for a supposed light breakfast. But, I must admit, it was good coffee...I only wish they served it in a porcelain or ceramic cup as the paper cup didn't do the drink justice. The plain white cup was far too boring to sip on considering that the brew was really frothy and full-bodied. 


Cappuccino 16oz. (Php120.00)


The apple pie surprised me when the bill came as it cost me 180 for a meager slice. Still, I have to say, the pie crust was one of the best crusts I've eaten so far. It was so perfectly light and flaky that I preferred it over the apple filling--a first I might add. I mean, the crust was so divine that the filling underwhelmed me in a way that it lacked the proper consistency to balance the pie. I think they added a little too much flour or cornstarch in the process of making the sauce filling that it ended up like brown glue. The apples were nice though, they were soft yet still had a slight bite left to it, and they even made the cut irregular shapes with uneven sizes to make every bite a little different from the last. The chocolate sauce on the side didn't really make sense so I didn't touch much of it...powdered sugar or a caramel sauce could have been the better option for the pretty plating because it would actually go well with the pie.


Apple Pie (Php180.00)


I wanted to stay a little bit longer, but they had an event that I wasn't a part of, so I had to flee the scene after a while. Still, it was a good cafe experience because the servers were also nice on top of the good ambiance and coffee. The playlist, not so much but forgivable. 





Ground Level Liberty Plaza, 
102 H. V. Dela Costa Street 
Salcedo Village, Makati City
*Across Trafalgar Plaza.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this place! Especially the wall paintings and the pork adobo. :)

www.intransitph.com

Rose said...

Yes! It's a pretty place for some alone-time or an intimate conversation with a friend. I'll take note of that adobo! ;)