Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Laziness is a Virtue



When my buddy Yan2x told me that her sister was doing her thesis and that she needed an artist, she asked me if I could help her. Not the exact words, but our conversation went something like this:

Yannie: "I need your help, can you find me an artist to work on my sister's thesis?" (goes to explaining the project)
Me: (thinking: I'm an artist! I can do that!) "Okay, I'll go look for someone."

At the far end of my head, I wondered why Yan2x didn't even bother to ask if I was willing to do the project for her sister since it isn't exactly a "labor of friendship." Then it was confirmed when we met at CBTL...Yan2x suddenly explained right after we met up with my friend who will be doing the freelance project for her sister. She said to her sister, "You know why I didn't pick Rose to do your thesis for you?" Her sister didn't answer, so she went on saying, "Because she's so lazy she's not gonna exert effort on your thesis!" She watched me laugh at her then explained further, "She's gonna make your book all white, add some small designs, and then call it minimalist art."

I gotta say, I wasn't offened. In my mind all I could think of is that I'm so glad Yan2x knows me so well!!! Now I don't have to do anything.

On that event, I shall now defend myself to the best of my abilities. And in my effort of figuring out my innate nature of being this lazy person, I found this article on yahoo:

1. The Laziest, the Smartest 
It is often noticed that the laziest people are the smartest people. This happens because such people are always looking out for ways to make jobs easier.

2. Assign Responsibilities 
It is also widely known that lazy people become great managers because they like to delegate work and share responsibilities so that they don't have to take on any tasks. Now that you are a manager, you should learn the art of delegating tasks and responsibilities so you know what work to keep for yourself. 

There is also a fact about lazy people circulating the net which is:

Lazy people fact # 2138895691768
-you were too lazy to read that number.

We refine what truly matters  to us and prioritize what's important instead of facing difficult confrontations in life. Consider this, we simply face life by skipping on the redundant details, eliminating its complexities, and doing what we do best: make things happen on their own. We can work if we want to, we just let others do it most of the time. We skip the introductions and get to the point of the matter which is a saving grace seldom times than most...but we get by with heads held high.

Do you realize if lazy people, the smartest of its kind, would exert even a slight ounce of artificial effort to get things done then where would the hard-working-yet-not-so-smart people go? I mean, there are people who stay up all night to study for a big test and get a 93 on their papers...while the lazy ones who choose to rest their brain cells instead would get an 85. Imagine the competition of those who aim to excel via hard work if the lazy ones chose to give that test even a few hours of study. In that sense, I can say that I was too lazy to take on that opportunity so I was being generous of giving others the spotlight for all practical purposes, if not intents.

Lazy people are more observant than those who busy themselves with too much of everything. We get to sit and calm ourselves to a slower pace and just see the world at it is without the fuss of the concept of "wasting time." Given much time to just hang out and chill, we pride ourselves with the ability to achieve enlightenment within a few hours of sipping tea or coffee. The whole zen-mode wherein one can look at an object and think of nothingness can only be done by a person with who has a true peace of mind. We are more in-tuned with nature and choose to be this free-sprited bunch who don't hassle themselves with the unecessary things in life. We are dreamers...literally sleeping a lot or daydreaming if not.

We are not procrastinators 100% of the time, we are just waiting for the right opportunity to strike and get the job done with one blow. Think of us as the  personification of snakes, we may sit all day waiting for our meal, but when we do go for the kill it's a sure hit because there's nothing we hate more than wasting our energy for a pointless effort. Call us energy efficient beings because we are able to sustain enough energy to do something big when the perfect opportunity arrives.

We don't like the idea of trial-and-error because we have to make it a point to execute it right the first time. I hate the idea of consuming my energy out of repetition...it's just too much work. I remember when I was in my university working on plates and my bloackmates would repeat their work over and over, erasing and redoing the job until they get it right; I on the other hand apply the touch-move theory--the moment that ink touches the paper that's it, if I  commit an error I do something about that single error but not repeat the entire process. It worked for me because not only did I save on time, effort and money...I also graduated.

For lazy people, it may take a while for us to reach success because we take our time; but then again, what would be the point of it all if the end goal is to have enough money just so we can live off doing nothing? 

No comments: