Thursday, November 1, 2012

CBTL Love Affair






If there's one coffee shop that I can declare my love to despite being one of those that is slowly taking over the city with their establishments, it's The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf Company. Never have I been more invested in sipping an expensive cup of tea latte over the years. I am one of those who is loyal to their cause and believes in their line, "Taste Matters." 



Greenbelt CBTL branch


It's one of those places wherein I can comfortably sit alone with a cup on my table and manage to survive sitting still for hours on end. They understand people's need for personal space, and they make it a point that their interiors are done in such a way that you don't feel so alone despite being...er...alone. 



The barista once corrected me, CBTL does not serve FRAPPE,
they serve ICE BLENDED...better know the difference. :)



The love affair began a few years ago when I was fairly new in the city and I needed a place to sit after a long aimless walking spree. I can remember the first CBTL I went to and the very same place I found myself blowing cash off for the next four years, the Gateway branch, because it was the one closest to my living place back then. The first order I made was their Double Chocolate which is a rich-thick-velvety flavor of (a very random guess just to complete the sentence) dutch cocoa. Immediately, I fell in love with the idea of labeling CBTL as my hang out place. BUT then when my first year college professor, the great Mark Salvatus, mentioned that he was a fan of their Chai Tea Latte, I became a CTBL devotee.  



Salt Caramel Latte...wasn't a big fan, I prefer the gelato salted caramel.


The top reason why I repeatedly frolic to the nearest CBTL at several times a month is for a dose of their Chai tea latte, my comfort cup. I've made an effort to try some of their teas, but it's their Chai that hits the perfect note on my palette that to say I've drank enough cups to fill a tub would be an understatement. It is THAT good--no--it is THAAAAAAAAAAAAT GOOOOOD!!! Chai tea is a combination of cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, star annise, orange peel, cardamom, white pepper and black tea. Making your own brew from scratch will only make you cry because it takes the right proportion of each ingredient that makes it taste super...and this is where CBTL makes it right because--dare I say--they've perfected the recipe that all other chai became irrelevant. The first sip is always magical until it kicks you with a very distinct hint of earthy spice, then you get hooked to the last drop.





There came a time when my addiction became so damaging to my meager budget that I had to buy their chai tea bags and their french vanilla so I can make the latte at home. Their canister contains 20 tea bags if I recall correctly...and of those 20 attempts to make their signature latte at home, I ended up running back to the cafe because I never got the right taste despite using the two ingredients they use in their shop. I blame that major fail on technique and equipment...I couldn't produce milk froth by blowing bubbles on my milk with a straw (NO! I didn't do gross things to my food!) So now I'm back to just buying the latte and entrusting the barista on making the stuff that jolts my spirit until the next cup. Other notable teas that got my taste buds happy are: African Sunrise, Tropical Passion, and their Matcha. But quite honestly though, I'm not a big fan of their coffee as it's quite bitter and lacks different notes of flavor besides bitter. I think they burn the roast sometimes, that's why I stick with their tea.



Eggs Benedict...the hollandaise sauce was a little sour, but good nonetheless. 


I've gotten to taste a few of their savory breakfast and breads...I haven't been disappointed so far because I am hopelessly biased. But when I feel that burden that I'm paying a little too much for what I eat, then I try to avoid that feeling from recurring which in this case, I find a little off my budget. Although their breakfast meals makes for a good deal as it comes served with your choice of signature tea or coffee with jam and butter on the side of toasted focaccia bread plus a meager slice of candied apricot and prune, still...it's a little painful on the wallet.





Their cakes on the other hand is something notable...I don't have a pic of any of them because I gobble it up the second it's in fork-reach distance. My favorite cakes are the Tobelrone Cheesecake, Guiltless Chocolate Cake, Triple Decker Cheesecake, Chicago Cheesecake and that Blueberry Cheesecake that is so different from other cheesecakes because of that hint of--what I assume is--lemon extract.

Did I mention that their playlist is bet?

No, I'm not trying to convert Starbucks loyalists to become CBTL regulars, else it would run out seats for me!

No comments: