Friday, November 30, 2012

Chez Karine Bakery


Oh macarons, how dreamy are thee? Let me count the ways...


I remember mourning over the sudden disappearance of Miss Dessert before getting the chance to sample their cakes; but it was quickly overtaken by excitement when I saw the caricature of a pigtailed girl sitting and trying to hold in her poo as she eagerly begged for a...spoon? I dunno...she looks like she's begging for that spoon and holding in something that causes her facial nerves to wallow in pain. Joooke. I related to the little girl's expression because I was looking forward to the opening day of the shop with just as much excitement. Waiting can be a treacherous thing! By the looks of the logo alone, I could tell that it was going to be a patisserie (as the price dictated a few weeks after) even if it humbly says bakery.



A first glimpse of the shop.


I dragged along my brother to check out the place on their opening day several months ago because I know first days always comes with something good. In this case, I was able to sample most of their macarons for free! I left after a few bites. HEY! At least I came back to actually buy something on my second visit. Chef Karen was also there when we went, she was friendly enough to ask for feedback and suggest everything on her menu. I read in DCF that she actually trained in France under THE Pierre HermĂ©, then I overheard someone saying, "Congratulations!" then an old guy, probably a relative said, "This is what she really wanted eh." Hearing that lead me to believe that this dessert shop was born out of passion and pure love of sharing her craft.



It's two thumbs-up for the packaging concept and design.


For Chez Karine, I swore I wouldn't write the article until I have tried her cake and sipped her coffee. By that I mean, I was making an excuse to return to the place again and sit on their wooden chair and just get a feel of the place. It seems as though there's a steady stream of curious passers wanting to take a closer peep on the pretty little sweet-edibles; but there are those on occasion, who immediately point to what they will purchase and have it wrapped to go. Apparently the patisserie has already gained regulars within a short span of time. I can only hope that this one is here to stay because it fits perfectly right beside Sonja's. 



Hand c/o Cesca


I overheard the staff explaining to a customer that Chez Karine means "At Karen's Place" translated in French (yes, I overhear a lot of things.) And right before leaving the shop I asked what fruit was used for the Chez Karine logo, the girl said, "it's raspberry."





This offer won't make me give up those bottles!


I came to the place a couple of times to slowly collect their cute bottles for my own sauces. For a P100.00 panna cotta, I might as well make the most of what I ate by taking home what's left of it--the bottle. I know that they know their bottles are cute and are expected never to return once a customer realizes that she can take it home, so this sign was eventually placed on the door. So after buying P800.00 worth of pudding/panna cotta, not only do you get a free drink you also get to save the environment! 

I choose to keep the bottles...



Few, maybe, but it's as lovely as it can be <3



There's always something in me that sparks whenever I see a dessert with a non-typical flavor or an unusual flavor combination. I want my dessert as complex as possible...I want multiple types of textures that comes in a multi-dimensional layer of flavors. Gone are the days when I wanted everything made of chocolate. Now, I want them in a combination of contrasting tastes like sweet-spicy, sweet-salty, sweet-sour, or bittersweet. Suppose I can say I've been more demanding ever since I was introduced to new flavors thanks to people like Chef Karen who does breakthrough concepts to something traditional. It's the younger generation who are more willing to take the risk of toying with people's palettes. I love it!

Lately though, I've noticed that she settled with the more common flavors and has skipped on using passion fruit in her desserts. I can't blame her if it's the more familiar flavors that sell more since they're more approachable to the local palette...I can only wish that Chef Karen would pop out some surprising mix and flavors even just as a limited edition whatever thingy because it's a nice thing to look forward to tasting and taking pictures of.



A limited menu means it's been well chosen.






Lemon Meringue Tart (P165)
The meringue was sticky and not too sweet, reminded me of the royal icing I had in my childhood...painful sore throat memories then. It was nicely toasted to a golden brown color, but I didn't even feel the slightest sign of toasted crumbs. The lemon custard was really creamy with just the right amount of zing. The shortbread was light and flaky, held the cream well but also easily crumbled in my mouth. Eaten together the marriage of flavors would make you crave for coffee.  

Orange Mocha (P130)
On the description, it said it would be grated with orange zest, instead they placed a wedge of orange...I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it. I left it untouched until my coffee was about one-fourth of the cup, then I decided to mush it into my drink...nothing happened, I couldn't decipher the difference. On the up side, their Orange Mocha tasted like a well-made mocha less the orange. It was sweet and made with good coffee but "accidentally" a slice of orange fell into the brew. That's my impression.




French Macarons (P50)
I've tasted their macarons, most of which on their opening day, but I also buy there on occasion. It's a delight to bite and chew because it tastes right and real...unlike other french macarons I've tried and regretted. Shame on them for calling them French macarons! The little devils behind the glass has every right to be called macarons because their yum yum! The flavors pop up as you chew them but not too overpowering...they're just right. 

Royal Pudding (P100)
The first time I bought the muscovado and vanilla puddings my heart broke...the thing melted by the time I reached home that it was this liquid brown gooey substance that drinking it was almost kind of sad...but delicious nonetheless. To think that I was excited to dip my spoon on its white creamy body and dab a bit of dark syrup on it...all melted away. I did get to experience the unmelted one on my next purchase though, I immediately gobbled it onsite. It was really nice for a pudding because it was soft and custardy and most of all not too sweet. The muscovado tasted much stronger with its burnt after note while vanilla was more consistent and light flavored.

Panna Cotta (P100)
I've been scurrying about most of the dessert places I know to have a panna cotta fix as a nostalgic flavor on my palette from my Disneyland experience. This is one of the desserts that's hard to find because I'm not sure why. Chez Karine is one of the few who offers such gloriously delicate dessert that I go back to my happy place whenever I can taste the strawberry syrup blend in that milky gelatin cream. Oh memories!


Sun-Thurs: 11am-10pm
Fri-Sat: 11am-11pm
1/F Serendra Mall
Bonifacio Global City, Taguig

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yum! are their macarons better than bizu's? :)

Rose said...

Hi! Just saw your comment. Well...yep, simply because I prefer more quirky combinations since Bizu seem to linger on common flavors. Plus, it's just really gooooooooooooooooooood down to the crumbs :3