Friday, November 2, 2012

It's Adventure Time!


 

Can I just mention how this seemingly randomly-thought-of-cartoon is genius!? If you're my age...the kind that is waaaaaay past the normal cartoon-watching-age but still enjoys the idea of watching non-people characters portray non-stereotypical roles for a non-linear story, then may I suggest this is the cartoon for you? It ain't anime, and it ain't kid-friendly either.




The characters are so diverse that J.R.R. Tolkien could learn a thing or two about how fantasy characters go. I mean, dude, the Land of Ooo (a well thought of name btw) have candy people, hug wolves, slime people, peanut people, woobeewoo villagers, party bears, spiky people, you name it and they'll probably make them happen on the next season!


Jake the Dog and Finn the Human

I've come to know them for the first time when my senior (a 30 year-old guy) asked me a year ago if I watched a cartoon wherein a kid with bunny ears go on adventures with a dog that bloats and stretches as like crazy. 

I said, "no" and went on with my life.

It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I got so bored with my life that I actually gave it a chance...from then on I didn't look back. Amazingly enough, I've asked some of my friends if they watch the toon and they admittedly can't help but say it's a cool thing to watch.



Oh my glob! It's Lumpy Space Princess!

I mean, where can you find a character such as LSP presented in such an unflattering fashion yet come out as an unbearably charismatic biatch!? She's a floating pink lump with a low monotonous vibrato that I had mistaken for a boy when she first appeared onscreen. Her voice irritated me at first, but this cartoon, the creators just somehow knew how to draw you in that now I take her as this really bratty "it-girl" who manages to make me laugh.



Marceline Abadeer, the Vampire Princess


My favorite character though is Marceline. She's a thousand-year-old vampire rocker chick who has a beautifully jazzy voice and preys on the color red. She's cool because she sings about anything, including how she felt when her daddy stole her fries. Haha. She shape-shifts into a lot of scary things and seem to enjoy the idea of messing with everyone's head. Now that's cool!



Season 4 Episode Finale "The Lich" was like...what the fu**--


I've watched several episodes at this point, and somehow at the back of my mind was always a nagging question as to why the heck Cartoon Network would show this kinda cartoon to kids? I mean seriously, the theme may be about adventure, but certain episodes just makes me doubt its un-child-friendly nature. And then of course, I slapped myself for being so slow...this cartoon ain't catered to kids! It's for people like me who watch cartoons despite being old-er. No wonder there aren't any underage kids posting in forums and making fanart. Of course, that's why I'm so into it--it is my kind of cartoon! 



Finn and Flame Princess's first kiss in "Burning Low"
Now, this is the kind of romance that caught my attention, the ironically adorable kind. Here's the scoop: since Flame Princess and Finn's elemental attributes are polar opposites (fire and water), when the two kissed, it triggered a reaction that could only be described as apocalyptic. The whole beauty of their romance is in the way they touch, how Finn gets burned when he touches her, and how his effort to subdue her flames pains her. I mean, seriously, kids won't appreciate that and won't squeal at the scene wherein Finn kissed a rock and gave it to her so she can kiss the rock to receive the kiss...but I know I did. Talk about a hopeless romantic.



Prince Gumball and Fionna (gender-swapped)


The creators are so into making Adventure Time so whatever that they even did an episode with the idea of a fanfiction being openly told by the Ice King. They did a gender-swapped version of Finn being the heroine Fionna and saves Prince Gumball from the hands of the evil Ice Queen. It is in occasions like these that makes the loop-holes and introduce new possibilities for their fandom to feed on and make new fanfictions and fanarts that will make this franchise last that much longer. And this is why this cartoon is so addicting and so...different perhaps? With that said, I can only hope you give this cartoon a chance to be part of your adult life--an alternative from those boring teen series that makes the point in pointless. 

P.S.
Did you notice that my banner has a Finn fairy leaf butterfly in it?




Disclaimer: All pictures and above mentioned characters belong to Cartoon Network.

No comments: