Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Pet Peeve # 236



I just arrive from an hour-long flight home, my parents come fetch me and the first question that often pops up the moment I close the car door is, "Are you hungry?" I never say no to that question. And before my mom asks if where we should eat, she briskly hands me over a piece of chicken pocket pie, "Here, it's good." This has been our ritual over the years whenever I go home. I eat the pie in the car on rare occasions, but oftentimes I take the pie home and eat it at our dining table. Over the years, I have learned to eat ceremoniously that it's uncomfortable whenever I am in a non-ideal position to dine properly. This includes having to eat in the car, in movie theaters, in stadiums, on a blanket by some scenic view, in my room, or any non-dining area that does not set the mood for a proper eating position. I don't know...I am somehow distracted and hassled by the idea of having to eat while not having the right table nor utensils to do it. I guess aging gives us the option of not being practical, instead having a sort of sophisticated standard that gives us less option of having fun. But for me, I take it that I prefer to do things one at a time, if I go watch a movie I watch the movie without smearing butter all over my hands. If I am to sit through a game or concert, I don't want having stuff on my lap nor my armrest that I will have tolerate as rubbish the moment I finish the stuff. If I'm by the beach or watching over a mountain with the most scenic view, I want to just be there in that moment to stare at it and not chew on a sandwich. If I'm in my room, I want to be not eating because the ants will come. 

Now take note, I said eating...drinking is something completely different. I bring a bottle of beer or a cup of coffee and stare at a view in serenity. Now that's the perfect situation for me. 



No comments: