Saturday, January 19, 2013

Life of Pi




When a story taps into the question about man's purpose of existence and God, then the story blows up far beyond the straightforward context of the simple storytelling. In this case, Pi's life became far more ambiguous than man's innate nature to survive. For a story that's about survival, it turns to something involving faith, a question on life, and humanity. I haven't read the book...so I have no basis of comparison.

I didn't realize that there was so much water-time involved, until my friend mentioned that about 80% of the movie was at sea so at the end of it he feared sailing even more. I wouldn't argue that because I'd much rather die than endure the hardship that Pi had to go through to make it out alive...but then again, when you see the end of the movie, that he had a good life after the incident, it makes you wonder...is it worth it?

I wish I had watched the movie in 3D because the movie, beyond the intricacies that goes on between Pi and Richard Parker, was visually appealing; especially the part where glowing jellies floated beneath his boat, and with the whale suddenly leaping off the water, could have been beautiful in 3D--but to my friend, he simply felt like he was going to drown. I love the sea when I look at it, I never get sick...just don't put me in it.

The story was summarized at the beginning when old Pi said, "I found my faith in Vishnu, but I found God's love in Christ." then he said something I had forgotten about. It made me understand why a man chooses to have three religions: because religion was made to get people to feel closer to God, and if that is how he sees Him, then who am I to argue? My impression? He's very open-minded Hindu-Christian-Muslim.

Now see how the movie makes you think deeper than you're supposed to? That's why it's beautiful, because it is.



No comments: