Monday, January 28, 2013

Les Miserables




Les Miserables is memorable to me in a sense that it gave me some of the darkest days and sleepless nights a few years back. I was 3rd year or 4th year   high school when I was tasked to be the scriptwriter of a 20-minute play, the Les Miserables. As an ignorant high school student, it was the first time I heard of the term, and reading the plot had caused so much confusion that I never really understood the story even after writing the script. 

Now, after seeing the 3-hour movie, I finally understood that the story was as confusing as the script I did. A lot of characters, multiple plots, and a span of over eighteen years of story progression...I just did the impossible, make a 20-minute-12-page script for Les Miserables. 

Here are my observations of the movie:

1. About half-way through the movie I realized that it was a musical because they were all singing even in times that they shouldn't. "Oh I was shot!" -Éponine. And after seeing wikipedia and the 50 songs of the movie, I knew they were darn too many!

2. I became a bigger Amanda Seyfried fan after she hit those high notes without losing breath or cringing.

3. I finally understood the irony of "I Dreamed a Dream" thanks to  Anne Hathaway's rendition. I always thought the song wasn't as tragic as she sang it.

4. Javert has a thing about walking on the edge of really tall places and singing there. Sad that Russell Crowe's voice didn't match the beautiful melodies of his songs. I wish Gerard Butler was Javert.

5. Ă‰ponine was the classic example of being friendzoned.

6. Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen were perfect for the role!

7. The movie felt 158 minutes long. My bum hurt at the end of it.

8. My friend beside me was crying in most parts.

9. The only one not miserable enough was Cosette...why she's the logo of the play is not fully understood.

10. Hugh Jackman deserved his Golden Globe.

5 comments:

Annie said...

Comments on your observations (I just had to and just for fun.)

1. You didn't know that I was a musical?!

2. Same here.

3. *glares* Haven't you seen Lea's rendition?

4. I have the same thoughts on this. Gerard Butler's Phantom of the Opera voice would have been suitable for Javert.

5. Amen.

6. Another Amen.

7 and 8. It wasn't that long and that should be "friends" because I was crying alongside your seat mate. HAHA!

9. Maybe, she's the reason why the people in the musical was miserable... *shrugs*

10. He deserves another award. *nods*

Annie said...

it was*

Rose said...

1. I was expecting a Phantom of the Opera type where there was a good balance of normal conversations and actual singing.

3. I did...but I never listened to the lyrics nor seen her face, just her voice. HAHA

7. Yes, it was 158 minutes long...check the movie's info.

8. Ok, I stand corrected--3 out of 4 friends were crying beside me. K?

Annie said...

watch the 25th anniversary of les Mis. ;) you'll be delighted to see Nick Jonas performing as Marius. *sniggers*

Rose said...

nnnaaaaaaaaaaaaah... :/