Thursday, December 20, 2012

Tutto Domani




A lifestyle coffee bar and patisserie.

Described as "A lifestyle café deconstructing the traditional concepts of dining and entertaining one plate at a time." on their FB page.

Never have I met any server more enthusiastic about serving than the one from this cafe. The moment we entered, his smile reached from cheek to cheek and he was very accommodating when it came to suggesting everything from the menu. It made me wonder if he was actually a politician in his past life as he seemed really really perky about giving good service. He was all over the place! I even remember him saying that he was an all-around staff who both waited and cooked...hmmmm....





The interior was clean and casual.
Stitch was a  life-size cutie pie.
Green minded people will laugh at this photo...
A photo taken from the outside.


The driving force that led me to this cafe were three things, the saffron-truffled rigatoni pasta I've seen in other blogs, the indie-themed interior, and the toys on display. Like other themed cafes I've been to, the seats are never uniformed as each chair is different for every table and every table is of a different size or shape. Tutto Domani has two large tables for groups of eight and five smaller ones for those who like being alone. The toys were bountiful, those that come as a collectable and those that are one-of-a-kind. There were action figures of familiar characters and there are also toys that were just toys designed to look cute and collect dust in one corner. One thing I've noticed that were common among the toys though, they were all expensive...so I wasn't able to purchase any, even just a key chain. OH! And of course, how can I forget? The other most important thing that got me to go here was that they served their food on wooden chopping boards! Yes, I have a thing with food served on chopping boards.

The menu has a fair range of dishes to choose from, but I've set my eyes on one thing that stood out in the list, it's the saffron cream sauce with smoked salmon garnished with mushroom and truffle sea salt on rigatoni noodles. Now that had a "saucy" ring written all over it. I love smoked salmon, and saffron, and truffle, and mushrooms, and pasta...what more is there to ask? Foie gras smothered on toasted brioche on the side maybe? No, there wasn't any foie gras, but the dish was quite nice as it is. It was surprisingly light...contrary to the thought that it would be very savory with the truffle and the saffron. I should note though, the smoked salmon they wrote in the menu tasted more like canned on my pasta because it was flaky and not smokey...so that was my only disappointment.
 


These things are not that easy to play with.

The new "it" sugar because it's healthier they say.
Crounds


As we waited for our orders to arrive, we were given a couple of puzzle toys to solve to distract us from waiting. We did tried our very bestest-est but we ended up in a hopeless state of self-doubt with our intellectual compitence by the time the food arrived...let's just say we solved none of the puzzle pieces because the food was quicker than our brain cells. We gave up on logic and got down to more important matters, like eating.

The one I got was a combination platter of the salad, my choice of pasta, sandwich and dessert, a side of chips and a teeny-tiny glass of iced tea. The pasta was the rigatoni I mentioned earlier, the sandwhich was the Fish Tango (a combination of tuna, salmon, and tanguinge) which tasted as fishy as its name--but a nice kind of fishy taste--the salad was citrusy and refreshing; the chips were made with real potatoes; and the teeny-tiny glass of iced tea tasted either like Lipton or Nestea just because I couldn't recall it, just that it was in a teeny-tiny glass. For dessert I was torn between crounds and crepe samurai...in the end, they both tasted like pancake.

 

Dried Fish Pasta (Php 300.00)


Nutella Crepe


Creme of Cremes Crepe

 

On the contrary, the dried fish with mushroom, asparagus, and seafood on fettucinni Francis ordered was bursting with fish-salt taste. It overwhelmed my salt-sensitive taste buds that a single bite was all I could muster to swallow...but I should commend that it had a good balance of other flavors for a dish that is powered by dried fish.

My late friends Marian and Elora--let me rephrase that--my friends who arrived very late for the occasion both got crepe. The creme of cremes crepe sounded really creamy...in fact they used (sadly, I assume) Nestle cream...not that I have issues with Nestle cream, it's just that I was hoping for a less common whipping cream to be used as I was expecting it to be the creme of cremes. The other crepe was Nutella, so I have no right to complain because it was exactly Nutella in that crepe.

We were happily eating when the hippie looking dude who could only be the owner asked us if the food was good. Of course it's rude not to praise what's served on the table...so Francis and I opted for a positive feedback. It was a sincere compliment. The man said he was aiming for a Euro-Asian menu, pointing out the dried fish pasta in particular. He said he is still in the process of experimenting with the taste, so he tries to ask for feedback so that he could adjust the taste accordingly to the consumer's palette. He said a foreigner once ate the dried fish and found it too salty, but Pinoys seem to love it. I must be a foreigner... 


New World Renaissance Hotel, 
Esperanza St cor Makati Ave San Lorenzo, 
Makati City

*Due to persistent demands, some 
photos were taken by Francis Nariz

No comments: