Monday, December 3, 2012

Nolita



Plain Cheese (P120.00)


If asked where I get my favorite pizza right now, I'd easily say Nolita. I've heard raves about their pizza as an authentic tasting New York style pizza. Now, I'm not one to say something authentic unless I've been to New York, but one thing I can say is that the pizza here is not the same kind of pizza you'd find in those common places. Before Nolita, my favorite was the pizza sold at S&R due to its dough and cheese...but now that Nolita is here, this is the "this is it" pizza for me. Mind you, there's a difference between American pizza and Italian pizza...Nolita is my American pizza fix. 

Why so? Because the crust is something that you can actually eat even without the toppings. They've made the right mix starting with the basic: the dough, the sauce, and the cheese. Even with just those three, you'd be satisfied...besides, there's a big jump in price from the plain cheese pizza which costs P120.00, the price jumps up around P250.00 for the topped pizza. I mean, yes, they're generous with the toppings, and each ingredient was carefully made...but that 100+ mark-up is quite ouch. Also, as you can see the size of the pizza is bigger than the paper plate and longer than the utensils; you can only imagine how full you'll get by the end of the meal.

The Eggplant Parmesan was chuck-full of deep-fried breaded eggplant that you'll only want more bite after bite. While the Wild Mushroom Walnut Blue means that you will be eating up to four kinds of fresh (yes, not canned) mushrooms with bleu cheese chunks...forgot if I saw the walnut though...still, it's so good and light and savory enough to make you close your eyes as you chew a mouthful.

They say the proper way to eat the pizza is to pinch both ends of the crust to a fold so that it holds up as you shove it up your mouth. I usually do that for my first bite, for the rest of the pizza I use the fork for a dignified meal. And if you notice, there's a big un-topped space in the end, don't worry because it's tasty enough to be eaten on its own. If not, dip it in hot sauce and enjoy.

  
My favorite buffalo wings in town. I can finish two plates of this! (P350.00)


Eggplant Parmesan (P250.00) 

Wild Mushroom Walnut Blue (P250.00)

Bowl of Chili (P250.00)

Other than pizza, they also offer a selection of other American staples like burgers, chili, pasta, fries, salad, and the like...they even serve funnel cake! This is a resto that does good food without the pretensions of good plating. The visual appeal is in how the food was prepared--with heaping amounts of ingredients. The chili was a good comfort food, and I'm glad because there's not a lot of places out there who serve chili, and this one was good. Lots of beans, tomato, beef, cheese, and a nice cold dollop of sour cream made me clean my bowl down to the last stain.



Cannoli (P100.00)

The other reason why I love this place is because they serve cannoli. I've been waiting for this dessert to be served in a more approachable place, and this is where I found it. It may look simple, but this Italian dessert is one heck of a delectable dessert. It's a creamed cheese-centric dessert usually made out of ricotta piped in a tube of crispy heavenly goodness. The one in Nolita can be made plain or with banana flavor...I prefer the plain. Inside the cannoli are bits of chocolate chips, chopped walnuts, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and candied orange peel; it is then dusted off with a healthy dose of powdered sugar. Biting into that dessert will make you crave for nothing else but another bite of that damn good piece of heaven.









Interior-wise, it's a cool place to chill and eat good food. Clad in black walls and wooden seats, you can just sit back and enjoy your meal. Although the down part is that I've noticed flies around the place every time I visit. I suppose that's because their food is that good, and that the staff has the tendency to keep the large door open making flies enter freely as they please. Other than that, the hanging lamps and the exposed ceiling, with knickknack frames and the quick service makes this place a good go-to place.  





Another interesting thing I've noticed is that instead of giving us numbers for our table, they handed out this photo of a yellow taxi to mark our table. I suppose they use New York landmarks and such to make the experience more enjoyable. As a whole, I'm glad Nolita is being recognized as one of the best restaurants for pizza because they're very much deserving of the praise. I hope they'll be in High Street for many many many more years, for my sake.


UG/F Bonifacio High Street Central, 
West Superblock, 
7th Ave cor 29th St
Fort Bonifacio, Taguig


*Due to persistent demands, some 
photos were taken by Francis Nariz

No comments: