Friday, December 29, 2017

2017 Roundup



This 2017, I can say overall, was a good year for me. Sure, some pitfalls here and there, but looking back, this is the year that I was actually able to check all of my resolutions─AND tick a couple of items off my bucket list. Long-time wishes finally fulfilled this year, and it surprised me even. I guess one of the things that made it happen was grabbing the opportunity when it presented itself, and working hard on making it possible the moment you grab it.

I remember telling myself last year that the moment I watch Coldplay, my year is made. How wonderful it is that it didn't turn out to be the case, it was just the first of many things that made this year extra special. The first month was horrible as one of my closest cousins finally succumbed to cancer, and that broke me quite badly. The rest of quarter was slow, with me just going out on long drives around Negros and draining my bank account even further. I went back to Manila for the concert, and I remember just swearing to stay away from Bacolod the rest of the year because I got so bored and sick of overstaying there for four months. By March I was telling everyone how much I miss Manila. 

The second quarter was spent travelling and enjoying the freedom, plus also going back to the gym with my need to regain some sense of fitness. That didn't last long though, because mid-year I started working and most of everything centered around my new job. A lot of my schedules had to be reconsidered, most of which to had to be cancelled...save for our Japan trip. Year-end, my childhood dream of going to Japan was finally fulfilled, and that was expectedly surreal. Looking back, I can say this year made me even more excited of the next. 2018, I have you planned out─it's a matter of making it happen.



Bacolod's Art District, La Carlota's Pasalamat Festival and Cafe Racer in Dumaguete



My Top 2017 Whatevers

Wow Moment: Biking over the bridge at Katsura River in Arashiyama, Kyoto and seeing the subtle changing colors of the foliage at the end of the bridge. That was the moment it sank in that I was in Japan. That was the Japan I wanted to see, the view that I’ve been dreaming of seeing for as long as I could remember. That was surreal, and I can still remember that smile of disbelief that ran across my face that very moment.


Around Negros

Coldplay's Head Full of Dreams Concert

Unexpected: Getting to watch LANY perform live. I mean, Coldplay was planned, but I found out about LANY less than a month before their free show, and I wasn’t expecting that I’d get to make it just in the nick of time to watch their performance because I had work that day. It was just meant to be. And the Japan trip was actually also unexpected, but everything just fell into place.

Most Stressful: The whole month of August was just the most tiring time for me this year. I felt like I was being choked by time pressure every day for the whole month. I was so miserably stressed 80% of the time.

Scariest: The bus ride from Sagada to Baguio. It was seriously the scariest road I ever passed through. There was the real risk of the bus just falling off the edge of mountain and us dying all together. It was awful! While my friends were fast asleep through most of the five-hour ride I was wide awake holding onto my seat for dear life. There was no way I could fall asleep seeing where the bus was plying. 


Banaue, Bontoc and Maligcong

Sagada

La Union, La Trinidad and Baguio


Worst: Waiting and seeing one of my closest cousin die in front of me. That was a horrible horrible thing to watch everything transpire and be so helpless at the situation.

Un-luckiest Moment: Day-trip in Nara, Japan. I got bitten by a deer on the butt. I picked a non-electric bike. Very wrong. We finally found the café we were looking for five minutes after they closed.

Stupidest: There are times when I just am. I blank out and miss the most obvious of details. This one mostly happens at work.

Regretful: Not getting to spend enough time in Japan, especially Kyoto. There is always that regret of cutting the trip short to save on money...only to realize that money can be regained when we get home, but that missed-out possibilities had we stayed longer is much harder to regain.

Most Frustrating: PLDT! Working online and losing your internet access for a week was a real hard and irritating experience. Every time I called the PLDT hotline they tell me that all I can ever do is wait for the technician to be assigned in our area. It was also the time when both my housemates went out for trips, leaving me helpless for several days.

Most Kilig: Hearing the voice of Chris Martin live. Oh-My-God, it melted my heart and weakened my knees. Too much fangirling happened that night.

Proudest Moment: Reaching my savings account to the amount I want it to.

Cutest: Hugging Biscuit, a corgi puppy. Just, pet goals.

Most Fun: Going on long drives alone just to see the landscape scenery around Bacolod and compiling them into short timelapse videos. 


Pahiyas Festival in Lucban, Quezon. I've always been curious about that fiesta. It was truly a must-experience sight fiesta.


Wildest: That spontaneous moment when two of my friends and I decided to go to the Mountain Province and explore without much itinerary. It felt like a real adventure. A supposed 4-day trip, we suddenly decided on the trip back to take a detour and extend another day.

Most Challenging: Surviving work. Seriously, there are days when I am mentally challenged to getting the job done.

Magical Moment: The whole concert of Coldplay. It was a dream-come-true, especially when he sang Magic.

Mesmerizing: Watching the sea of clouds from the peak of Mt. Kupapey, and seeing the rice terraces beneath the clouds.

Awe-Inspiring: Manila Fame, seeing how far the quality of local products can compete and fare in the international market.

Best Feeling: Walking along Arashiyama’s Bamboo Grove…it gave me sense of peace and pure joy that very moment.


Tokyo

Kyoto


OMG Moment: Seeing a full bodied apparition of my brother’s doppelganger glide pass in front of me, less than a foot from where I was standing. It didn’t scare me as I imagined myself to react if I saw a ghost. It’s more of when the realization sank in I simply thought to myself, “Oh my God, I think I just saw a ghost.”

Disappointing: Dan Stevens disappointed me so badly when he turned into Prince Adam. Why? He looked wimpy and nothing like that full-chest-bedazzling-princely-turning-of-the-head-to-Belle of Prince Adam on the animated version. 

Best Discovery: Learning how to automatically rename the files in Adobe Illustrator. It was a turning point to naming all my artboards. 

Favorite 2017 Drink: Rosé…I’m trying to transition for beer to wine. Rosé seems like a good start in this effort to learning how to appreciating wines. And fresh buko juice! I try ko drink at least once a week whenever possible as I feel an instant improvement in my system whenever I drink it.

Favorite 2017 Food: I craved a lot of cheese flavored things this year. Cheese pizza! There are only two pizzas I crave for, either margherita or plain cheese pizza. I also found myself eating a lot of chorizo at the latter half of the year. 

Best Thing I Ate: That slice of toro shashimi I ate from Tsukiji market dipped in soy sauce was divine, and Emma Lacson's Chicken Empanada is something I cannot stop myself from eating until there's none left in sight. 

Favorite 2017 Dessert: Pablo’s soft served cheese ice cream. 

Favorite 2017 Restaurant: Alab, Hey Handsome, Motorino


Osaka

Nara


Unforgettable Meals: At Hakko Raphael’s in Nara, Japan. We actually only ate a slice of cheesecake and a cup of coffee. But it’s not just the meal, rather, it’s the lasting impression and memory made during that meal. Our dinner at Van Gogh is Bipolar was also one of the more memorable meals I had this year. It was interesting. A dinner at Hey Handsome ignited my taste buds, and it helped me taste food again. Their Fried Egg dish was seriously addicting. And how can I forget the first time I ate nga-nga at Maligcong? 

Favorite 2017 Hang Out: SM Aura’s food hall. It’s not really my favorite, but I found myself staying there a lot whenever I had to wait for the 12:15pm mass at Pedro Calungsod Chapel.

Favorite 2017 Songs (Not necessarily new songs, just the tracks I listened to most this year): Tila by Clara Benin, Burnout by Dancel-Danao-Dumas, Magic by Coldplay, Sky Full of Stars by Coldplay, Saan Man by Alessandra de Rossi, Awit ng Paghahangad, LANY Pink Skies, Jess Glynne Take Me Home, OneRepublic If I Lose Myself

Favorite 2017 Movies: Sakaling Hindi Makarating...it was the first movie I saw this year and I loved that it's a pinoy movie done in a way that's not made with a mainstream formula; Beauty and the Beast Live Action...because OMG Beauty and the Beast is my favorite classic Disney movie and seeing Emma Watson take on the role of my favorite Disney princess brought emotionally-happy tears to my eyes; Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man Tell No Tales...because Pirates of the Caribbean is my favorite adventure movie and I'm biased to just loving all of their movie releases.


Various food that I found memorable eating this year.

Random whatevers that happened this year. I was so inspired with making a quick fanart of Beauty and the Beast that I made a 20-minute doodle after watching the movie.


Will Be Most Missed in 2017: The places I went to...because it'll be many years before I can return to some of then. 

Achievement Unlocked this 2017:
  1.  Seeing a ghost
  2.  Reaching my savings account goals
  3. Actually checking all my 2017 goals, and more!
  4. Seeing the rice terraces up close.
  5.  Stepping foot on Japan soil.
  6. Getting into the habit of fixing my bed first thing in the morning.
  7. Going on our first official family trip abroad.
  8. Drive up the mountains and go on solo road trips.
  9. Finding a job.
  10. Watching Coldplay and LANY in concert.

2017 Realization: I think I know what I want to do for the next several years of my life now. I finally think it’s time I do what I’ve been telling myself “not yet” for the longest time. At some point this year, I found myself the urge to push through with it, as if my gut and fate is telling me that “it’s time.”

Lesson Learned for 2017: A lot can happen in a year, and it can suddenly shift mid-way.

2018 Bucket List:
  1. Next stop, Taiwan.
  2. Pursue my long-time plan of starting a food business and expanding my product line for Teacup Ideas.
  3. Go on a solo adventure.
  4. Be awesome by the time I turn 30.
  5. Refocus on my health and fitness.


No comments: