Wednesday, December 30, 2015

2015 Roundup



I wrote two things on my planner for my 2015 Bucket List—TWO very easy things: 1. Find a job, and 2. Get my SSS ID. OMG! Did I fail miserably! I mean, seriously, one year had passed, like 365 days since I wrote it but nada! Well, at least the find-a-job part was my choice to delay because every time I decided to start job-hunting something came up and I felt like the Universe was telling me “not yet” so I happily comply—at least I hope my interpretation is correct. As for the SSS ID part—holy crap! I completely forgot I ever wrote it!

My 2015 revolved around a couple of things: bazaars, accessory-making, travel, sleep, procrastination, food, TV, online surfing, hanging with friends, much down time and me-time. 2015 is what I would call the year of non-responsibility and live-with-what-you-got year. This is the supposed year that I had been dreaming of for the past four years now, wherein I survive and live without a job…in other words, be an unemployed-yet-not-so-miserable adult. Although I did survive on my savings, not having a stable income has been proven (by me) difficult…especially with my habitual spending attitude.


Compilation of our Baguio trip. We went there during the Panagbenga Festival. My favorite part was the strawberry picking
 at the break of dawn. First time to see my breath turn to smoke because the last time I went, it wasn't as cold.


This year I lived for the moment and chose not to be reminded by trivial things along the way, like the need to earn a sustainable living, follow a career path because "it's the only way to be successful," save for my future, start a family before turning thirty, be of use to the economy...you know, normal stuff that the general common-thinking folks has been subconsciously brainwashing us of becoming the moment our umbilical cord is cut. Expectations can be draining. Fitting in to please everyone is exhausting. It can kill the joy in us. This year, I had to salute my middle finger to the ticking clock and bask in the splendor of being in the present, because I had to relearn how to find happiness in the simple things after drowning in society's standards for the past few years. So now the question is…do I regret it now that I’m finally seeing the dawn of 2016? 99% NO. Too late for regrets anyway, I have to move forward from here. Three statements summarize my 2015:

1.  I’m broke, but I’m happier now that I have less. I stopped myself from being pressured of becoming a millionaire before turning thirty and just enjoy in the simple pleasure of making do with what I have. It’s a good thing actually…because I now see the logic in saving, a big plus when I’m back to earning monthly salaries. Yes, it only means that I cannot survive on bazaars alone.

2.    I’ve gotten a little braver now; facing the world with a lot less to lose is somewhat liberating. I’ve been to a whole lot of places this year, more than I’ve ever been within a span of one year…although some places I’ve returned to more than twice, it’s always good to be back after years of not returning. Not having a job helps make it happen…because I was unafraid of the repercussions since I only got money to lose.

3. I have rested more than enough. I’m now ready to drown myself in work for the coming year. I actually kinda-sorta-lika missed the routine of being employed…plus I have future goals that includes earning a lot of cash in order to achieve. I miss the routine paychecks, the HR doing the paperwork, the 13th month bonus, and working with a team of like-headed professionals. Although the thought of waking up early to trudge through the rush hour will always be an unwanted feeling, it’s the price I have to pay to get a guaranteed amount of cash every day.


Road trip to Dumaguete with half of my high school barkada. Went there for the sizzling bulalo and sans rival.

My Top 2015 Whatevers

Wow Moment: Waiting for the sunrise in Bagan. I’ve seen a lot of sunrises in my life, but none quite like the one I saw up Shwesandaw Pagoda. I’ll tell the story when I post the entry on my Bagan trip.


I will always be in awe with the pictures I took in Bagan. It was truly an amazing experience. I'm happy to have finally met
 two of the famous long-neck women, we even bought one of the scarves they weaved.


Heart Pumping: At Kuala Lumpur Sentral train station. We were lining up to buy the express ticket to the airport when I saw the LED screen saying that the train was leaving in 0 minutes—and if we miss that train, we miss our flight to Yangon! It was like in the movies, we were running from the ticket booth all the way to the train clutching our bags and making our way in the station together with other sprinting passengers. Quite the adrenaline rush, because had we missed it the next train would arrive in 20 minutes and would take another 30 minutes to reach the airport—and our plane was departing in 40 minutes…so it was literally just hopping off the train and going straight to the departure area. We barely waited before boarding the plane. My companions and I were just smiling at each other while catching our breaths when we made it in time…it could have been a whole different story and expression had we not made it.


It was a race against time as we rushed through Kuala Lumpur for only seven hours. We only managed to go to the neck-
cracking Petronas Tower and the knee-breaking stairs up Batu Cave. So happy with my roti prata. 


Most Stressful: My friend who was planning our Malaysia-Myanmar trip telling me that she can’t come with us three weeks before the trip and that we were on our own in making our itinerary—no hotels booked, no tickets reserved, no idea with what’s to come because we barely did our research…we’d be on our own in a country we’ve never been, with two other people I have not yet met. But the trip turned out really well despite me losing a couple strands of hair from the stress in researching. Another stressful incident was planning the trip of my college friends here around Negros and Guimaras since none of them have ever been here.

Scariest: Seeing the chair in my parents room move on its own. I was alone in the house then at around 10pm.


I celebrated my *ehem* twentieth birthday in Yangon. The city is huge and a little hard to navigate, but I like the place
 especially because the men were wearing skirts (called longyi,) it's so cool. 


Worst: Getting a phone call from mom to tell me that my cousin had died, she was crying then as the news came so sudden. I remember just curling up on the tatami with gushing tears after I hung the phone and was in panic as I tried to book a flight to Bacolod as soon as I could. No one had it coming, and it crushed every one of us, especially with the fact that his corpse was only discovered decomposing in his room four days after (Because it was holy week and everyone was out.) I felt my heart collapse with grief when I heard that the only way to make do with the wake is if we cremate him because the state was so bad. The worst part of 2015 is that a lot people I personally know, relatives and family friends, died this year…like around eight of them. That’s a lot for one year!


Penang is one of my new favorite place even if I probably won't be back for a very long time just because I need to go to other
 places first before returning. Anyway, I loved staying there even just for three days. Street Art + Good Food = Happy Place


Un-luckiest Moment: Our Mt. Pinatubo trek last Dec 19. One…I got soaked in the rain wearing cotton jacket and jogging pants—I was dripping wet down to my undergarments and soul. Two…the sole of my shoes came off—like the whole thing just gave up on me 20mins in so I had to carry more weight on my back for them stupid shoes and had to borrow the slippers of my friend instead. Three—wearing jogging pants was a bad thing because all I did was kept rolling it up all the way to the crater because we had to cross the river several times, so it ended up filled with river sand and heavy from soaking in water—I didn’t do my research obviously. Four—I left my extra clothes, the only thing I managed to bring was a single shirt that I wore on the way back, but it didn’t help because my bra was drippin’ and so I was just curled up in my seat forcing myself to sleep until we made it to the stopover (almost three hours after!) and had no choice but to buy an overpriced piece of shorts just so I could sit dry on the bus for the next two hours. And number five takes the bloody cake—my monthly period decided to arrive a few minutes before we reached the crater!!! Epic!


Mt. Pinatubo is really really really really beautiful, and that's despite the setbacks. Like wow, the landscape was
breathtaking! The trek wasn't very hard actually, and the 4x4 ride was back-breaking but awesome still.


Stupidest: I kicked myself in my sleep and was startled up almost crying in pain. It took roughly 24-hours for the pain to totally recede. I kicked my right calf with my left foot.

Regretful: Probably spending too much time procrastinating when I had so much time in my hands to do something more useful.

Most Kilig: In all seriousness, Aldub; especially the Sugod/Dalaw Mansion and Tamang Panahon episodes, I was just smiling like an idiot the whole time that I had to bite my shirt to avoid grinning too much. Also, having my picture taken with Henry Herbert of The Fabulous Baker Brothers...it felt like time got suspended in those few seconds when he placed his arms around my shoulder for the photo. Allowing myself to fangirl at times removes the stick up my butt.


I went with a few of my relatives to Cebu for a pilgrimage at Simala. Yes, my prayer was answered just a few weeks after I
 prayed there and I promised to be back someday. As for Cebu City, the last time I've been there was 2005.


Coolest: Teacup Ideas being featured in spot.ph. I'm a fan of the site, and to see one of our products unexpectedly up on their site brimmed us with pride.

Proudest Moment: Seeing and holding the first copy of Teacup Idea’s coloring book…I just felt proud seeing my artwork in print. I mean, I've seen other stuff I've done on print, but to produce your own coloring book with your own concept and artwork without direction from anyone does stuff to the ego.

Cutest: Those furry animals…I happen to have hugged a lot this year. <3

Most Fun: Spontaneous dates with friends and certain YOLO moments.


I hugged a lot of animals this year. So much love in them cute furballs! We got a new beagle this year, his name is Dobbie
(Yes, from HP.) Our dalmatian also finally stopped barking/growling at me, only after two years! And of course Cloud, the
 Japanese spitz is always my favorite cuddle toy. Another amazing moment was when I touched the nose of the giraffe; also
 touched the cheeks of a dromedary; when parrots ate sunflower seeds off my hair; held a teacup poodle on my palm; and
hugged a whole bunch of ponies. Furry animals make me happy, even down to the darker depths of my soul. 


Wildest: The superman zipline in Baguio was exhilarating! I can still vividly remember the first few seconds the moment I heard that click before the release, it was awesome! I love heights.

Weirdest: Started using Instagram…it’s weird because I should’ve started sooner.

Best Feeling: Just knowing that I don’t have to go to work the next day. Also, driving out of town on my own with a roadtrip playlist on full blast, with the destination of a beautiful scenic site just for the heck of it.

Best Discovery: Spotify…like I’ve been so happy with finding new music and artists that I barely have to create my playlist all the time, just click on Discover and I’m set.


The strawberry shortcake of Cakes by Miriam was foodgasm. The bento sets at Ogawa is also very filling, I love it! The
 frozen custard of Rita's is one of my long-term cravings, this goes hand in hand with Paul's strawberry eclair that always
 never makes it in front of the camera...it's one of those that I instantaneously consume the moment I take hold of. Another
memorable meal this year was our lunch in Bagan that consists of so much food and side dishes for less than Php 150.00!!!
And yeah, my new favorite place in the block, the mojito at Single Origin.


Favorite 2015 Drink: Mojito from Single Origin and Café Latte from Toby’s Estate

Favorite 2015 Food: Shin Ramyun with lots and lots of Quickmelt cheese!!! I remember eating it for lunch for three consecutive days.

Favorite 2015 Dessert: Haw-Haw Cake (Baker’s Table) <3 <3 <3 Strawberry Éclair!!!! <3 <3 <3 (Paul Boulangerie) Coffee Crunch Cake (Calea)

Favorite 2015 Restaurant: Single Origin

Favorite 2015 Hang Out: BGC High Street Central


The cremated ashes of my cousin was placed at one of the sides of my great grandmother's tomb because of its intricate
design there was enough space for the urn, so we chipped off the cement to fit in the ashes as seen on left pic. I also finally
got to do something I've always been wanting to do, get introduced to the new generation of people in the farm. I finally got to
do that this year, I even got to participate and donate in the feeding program. One girl showed her appreciation by serenading
 us onstage. It was a simple gesture that warms the heart and makes me feel human.


Favorite 2015 Songs: Hold Back The River (James Bay) Knots (Charlie Lim) Sing With Me (Feat. Zee Avi, GAC, UDD) I Was Made for Loving You (Madilyn Bailey) Hello (Adele) See You Again (Charlie Puth)

Favorite 2015 Movies: Mad Max: Fury Road (BADASS-COOLEST MOVIE EVERRRR!) and The Little Prince (Because I love the story and the book so much that I was in the brink of tears thrice in the cinema.)

Favorite 2015 People: People I met in Yangon and Bagan. There is something about the people there…sincere, warm, soft-spoken, approachable that I happen to find a connection with the ones I had conversations with. One was our tour guide in Shwedagon Pagoda, Nyien Moe, who educated us about Buddhism. Another was the kind lady whom we asked for a hostel or inn where we could drop our bags for a couple of hours because they were heavy, instead she welcomed us in her humble home and offered her room as storage for our bags for free…she even offered to bring us to the airport, but we had to pay for gas of course because it was far. The other three were from Bagan, a little girl who was selling her drawings but I didn’t want to buy so I gave her TicTac instead, she ended up taking us to a pretty temple hidden behind huge trees a couple of meters from where we were standing; the young girl who kept following me in one of the temples and told me stories about it; and the artist who was selling his sand painting and told a few stories about the situation in Bagan. The second to the last is that-friend-who-shall-not-be-named because she saved me a couple of times this year, especially on booking our tickets abroad and being the in-case-of-emergency person. And the last, for reasons she nor I can’t really explain is Maine Mendoza…she just made a lot of people happy, proud and inspired this year (including me,) nuff said.


An overnight stay at Guimaras. The last time I was here was four years ago. I've always loved the memory of the first time I
 snorkeled here, it was in Ave Maria Cove. Although there weren't as many fishes when I snorkeled there this year, at least I
got to hold a jellyfish on my palm, and get my feet gobbled on by two-feet long milk fishes. It freaked me out even if it only
tickled, it's the possibility of falling in the water in a tank full of bangus that got me standing less than a minute in.


Will Be Most Missed in 2015: The freedom of being able to lie down in bed on a rainy weekday instead of having to swim through it to get to work.

Achievement Unlocked this 2015: Surviving 365 days without a job. Checking “Experience the sunrise at Bagan” off my bucket list. Driving to Don Salvador Benedicto.

Lesson Learned for 2015: When all else fails, your parents will always welcome you with open arms. Like seriously, I went home to Bacolod to live with my parents for over two months this year just so I could save on cash.

2016 Bucket List: I’M NOT MAKING ONE! I have the tendency to jinx every single one I write, so I’ll just keep a mental thought of them stuff. 


That moment when the final print has been given and you get compliments on the what you worked for from scratch is always
 a proud moment of 2015. I'll post the finished artwork of the horse I made the moment I get the colors done.

We had a lot of bazaars this year, including our highest record sales this December. I really enjoy doing bazaars, even if I feel
like being slapped on a brick wall at the end of a 12-hour shift.



Farewell Twenty-Fifteen, you were a good one.

Hello

2016!!!

Be a better one...please lang.

No comments: