Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Fred’s Revolucion in Cubao Expo




Given a chance, I drop by Cubao Expo (because I don’t like calling it Cubao-X) whenever I’m in the Araneta Center area for nostalgic purposes. It was one of my favourite places when I was still living in Cubao and a CFAD student in UST. The place had always been quaint and feels like home for artists. People who hang around are usually art students from UST or UP, so it’s a very welcoming feeling to sit in one of the bars or browse around for unique finds. Fred’s Revolucion is one of the fairly new joints but feels like it’s been there for ages…but then again I’m not so sure since I visit the place only once or twice a year. I miss Mogwai.




The place isn’t all that big at all, sits quite a few people, but it is because of it that the place gives me a sense of belonging. As the name implies, their place is full of knickknacks pertaining to the revolution, with faces of Fidel Castro, General Mao of Communist China, Hitler, Abe Lincoln, a face of Obama, and even some Star Wars characters...although I’m not sure if everything had something to do with revolutions. There are paper bills, coasters, printed shirts, propaganda posters and paper cut-outs in place as wallpaper…which is a nice welcome despite of their content and supposed intention. The chairs and tables nicely go with the place with its scratched varnish and old pub look. The place is located right beside Bellini’s—where, by the way, I buy my favourite Orange Cake—at the back part of Cubao Expo. As for Cubao Expo, it is located beside SM Hypermart across the old Rustan’s building, somewhere close to the now bus terminals. I usually just walk to the place, from Gateway, I cross to Shopwise until I pass by the church of Manalo, and turn right at the corner where the old place stands.


Holy Schnitzel (Php188.00) 

Bagnet Blachan (Php168.00)

Fred's Onion Rings (Php148.00) This one was too greasy for me.


We went there for dinner on a weekend, but apparently they didn’t serve all their Weekend Specials on a weekend, so I was mandated to order the lesser-craved-for choices. My template when ordering choices I’m not that interested in is usually to just go with the familiar and hope for them to cook it right. I got the Bagnet Belachan that is served with bagoong-chili dressing and Fred’s Onion Rings to go with it. The bagnet was crispy and went well with rice, while the beer battered onion rings were quite boring. Then there’s the Holy Schnitzel that was served on a nice bed of mashed potato drowning—seriously drowning in gravy. We also ordered Frozen Margarita that tasted not so special, and didn’t even kick in after I consumed half of the pitcher.




Fred’s Revolucion is a good place to drink several bottles of beer in, but don’t expect any beyond-that dinner because their small tables are not meant to fit a full meal…just a couple of bottles and maybe a pitcher of cocktail…as for the pica-pica, you can buy at Penpen’s because their Isaw na Chicharon is addicting as hell! I swear on Hitler’s moustache.


A friend dropped by after dinner to give us dessert! Thanks Mar! :)

Cubao General Romulo Ave. 
Marikina Shoe Expo, Cubao 
Quezon City

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

CooL! Blog. Found by accident. We love "Adventure Time". That's how I found you. Again Thanks!

Rose said...

Thanks! Yep, there's a lot to love about Adventure Time :D