Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Buses and Train Rides




Buses and Train Rides

It's that stillness of the movement
That rush of colors
And a pause of our time
As the world passes by
A moment of contemplation 
A conscious daydream
Or a moment of nothing

That's when you see the world
At a time of helpless pausing
Familiar sights, same buildings
Take notice, the subtle changes
In the scenery and time passing

You wait for your approaching 
To a repeating destination 
Day in and out
Thus is my life
Thus is my routine

02.19.2019


This was a quickly scribbled poem I did while I was on the bus on my way to my restaurant. Ironically it's no longer my routine for a few years now, but on this particular day I needed to go and check on the store and thus came in that creative spur that took me back years ago when I was still working and needed to waste 1-2 hours of travel time to get to and fro my office. This was a cycle that for the first few years seemed bearable until I realized it's no longer worth wasting my time over five days a week, and so I broke the cycle by quitting my  job. I haven't looked back since...except maybe a few minutes a year, just to realize how toxic my life was. Unfortunately, this is still the case for most commuters, to sit through hours of traffic instead of doing something more productive. Although there are days when it's unavoidable, to have to put your life on pause, it's so empowering to have that control over your time without you risking another memo or salary deduction. 

P.S.
I know...that's a photo of the view you see when riding in front seat of a jeepney while the title of my poem doesn't include the jeepeny... I no longer ride buses and trains as much as I once did.


No comments: