Friday, July 12, 2019

Snippets: Asakusa, Tokyo



Taken September 2, 2017 along one of the alleys in Asakusa area in Tokyo. 

You know that feeling when you thought that all is set, then you go do a final run-through only to realize that you missed to include something really special? Well, this was the photo that I had to include in the picture book I was making. For sixty pages plus a cover and back, it took me three days to scan through thousands of photos (1964 photos, excluding the ones I had deleted) I took in Japan almost two years ago, and lay them out in an eye-pleasing fashion. I edited hundreds of photos, mix and matched the ones that looked good side-by-side, and redo a couple of pages before submitting it to the printer. It was on my third day, I just finished 60 pages of layout, and I was scanning the gallery to look for the perfect shot for my front and back covers when I came across this image. I loved it so much, with the lighting, colors, symmetry, candidness, and especially the Japanese dude staring directly into the camera right where the draw lines are in perspective...it was a perfect accent piece that I wanted to include for my inner pages. With this one photo, I ended up rearranging probably six pages just to accommodate the proper sequence and space for this photo. No regrets, even if it meant deleting one page in exchange of this. I actually deleted the only image of Tokyo tower I had in the album for this one. Why? Well Tokyo tower is probably present in every photo of every other person who traveled to Japan, but this one is a moment that no one else has captured, and it's beautiful because of that. This was the side of Japan that I enjoyed seeing most.


No comments: