Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Snippets: Sunrise at Angkor Wat



Taken June 2, 2014. This was the sunrise I was seeing back then, almost exactly two years ago at Angkor Wat, Cambodia. I remember getting there still dark, yet the crowd had already taken all the good spots, so I just used them to my advantage, after all I had no plans of turning my photos into a postcard. They say it gets even more crowded during high-tourist season...so this is basically nothing compared to peak seasons.

Parts of my journal that day reads:

"I may have slept as late as 12am, but I woke up even before the alarm struck at 4:30am. We went out at dawn, just before day break to see the sun rise at Angkor Wat. The sun rose and it was splendid.... By the time we arrived at the hotel, I was limping from fatigue and from the blisters I've accumulated.... The day ended with a traditional Khemer massage, sort of like a Thai massage, but less brutal."

And I was not able to write then the terrible sunburn I got from touring the temples. I felt my skin burn the next day and I could see the tan line on my arms go from sort of normal-color-me to four-shades-darker-me just under my sleeves. It was one of the worst sunburns I got in my life, really, worst than some of my days on a beach. 

No comments: