Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Blog is Three: Here's Ten Whatevers

 When you have a blog and see that you’ve made six blog entries at this point of the year—add to that the shocking fact that your blog just turned three years old today—suddenly your life goes into turmoil, thinking what to write? What to write? What to freakin’ write!? After some thought, I’ve come into the realization that the easiest topic where words need not much thought nor research is when I talk about myself. As a treat for myself, here are ten random whatevers about me…simply because I’m not in the right mindset to think about more important matters as of present:

1.  The best years of my life happened when I was 16 and 21 years old. Those were graduating years, because I really enjoy the idea of new life chapters, plus school works were far lesser than usual—and the bonding with friends are more intense because we know we’re about to part ways for longer than just a weekend. These were years when I felt my stomach churn out of excitement for what’s coming (yep, I’m more of a future-inclined person.) There were a lot of life-changing decisions I made those years, decisions that I would look back from time to time and still smile about at this point. The worst years happened not so long ago . . . BUT I can feel the bestest ones are about to happen not so long from now (I told you I’m a future-anticipating person.)

     2.  I was named after Saint Marie Eugenie, the founder of the Religious of the Assumption, because almost all of my aunts were Assumptionistas, yet I never really went to Assumption school for three reasons: I was afraid of being a target in the school because of my name; I was too clingy with my parents back then and didn’t want to live across the Guimaras Strait; and finally…I liked being in a co-ed school, an all-girls school never really appealed to me. Harot!

     3.  I was never a fan of boy bands or girl groups (except Celtic Women) because I prefer the sound of a solo vocalist or duet. So yes, Backstreet Boys, N’ SYNC, Spice Girls, and all other 90’s bands were not in my childhood. While my contemporaries were busy drooling over Nick Carter, I preferred going gaga over Michael Jackson, Kenny G and Richard Clayderman (Yes, I’ve been into long haired men since the day I saw Prince Adam of Beauty and the Beast.)

     4.  My ability to not retain much in my memory bank has caused me a lot of awkward moments. I’m terrible at remembering faces, and even more so at recalling names of people. Some of my more embarrassing encounters were: mistaking the parish priest to be the husband of my cousin, mistaking my friend’s mom as my teacher in grade school (I even said the whole “Wait, come back, you look familiar. I know you!” line when she was about to leave because she thought she’s mistaken, lines that my friends still annoy me with!) Another was when the wife of my uncle spoke with me at home and I had no idea it was her I was facing even after the conversation ended (I only realized it was her when I described her face to my mom a few hours after. Urgh!) I can still remember when my cousins would try to introduce themselves every time I went to their house as a child. This is where I truly appreciate the labels of lola, lola, tita, tito, ate, kuya, manong, manang etc. because it has saved me countless times from having to say a random name at someone.

     5.  A couple of my better ideas (especially my plates when I was in college) were conceived while I was in the bathroom. I don’t know if it’s the damp air in a tiny silent space that lets my brain cells collide, but I just remember going out for a toilet break every time I’m stuck on a concept for an artwork or copy.

     6.  Part of my fond childhood memories were spent in the cemetery in one of the cities I lived in. For some introverted reason, I like spending some lazy afternoons in the cemetery, playing with the goats that grazed there or just hung out at the tomb of my relatives. No. . .I don’t see nor talk to dead people. . .I just happen to avoid those alive in the cemetery. I like the contemplative silence in the cemetery, and I’m just weird like that.

     7.  I get restless whenever I had to cut my fingernails short before, until now. Starting Grade 6, I just decided that long fingernails is my thing and that it shouldn’t go less than 1mm—a decision that often got me in trouble at school. Since part of our grade in Deportment is good hygiene…well let’s just say my grades have gotten a couple of points lower because of my constant refusal to cut my nails down to the edge of my skin. I remember being called out of class a couple of times to go to the Disciplinary Officer’s office so that I could cut my nails there…he even provided me with a nail cutter just so I could keep my fingers less lethal. Thank goodness those days are over! From a 90+ in Deportment, I’ve gotten down to 83-85 because of my freakin’ nails!

     8.  I never go out of the house without at least three sprits of perfume or mist on my neck and clothes. I can go out with just combing my hair with my fingers and tie it into a bun, but I cannot smell like bad sweat. If for some they feel naked without their wristwatch, I feel incomplete without my scent. Actually I don’t have a signature scent because I like switching my perfume after I consume the whole bottle, but one of my more constant go-to for a casual day out is Victoria’s Secrets’ Enchanted Apple (because it has a nostalgic effect on me) other staples that are cheaper options are Bench’s Handsome Girl (because they phased out Naughty and Nice—GRR!) but if I do have some extra cash, I like David & Victoria Beckham Signature for Her. I remember a scene in high school when a friend who was blindfolded for an activity said, “I know it’s you. Your scent is familiar.” Without me having to say anything, I just stood beside him and immediately he muttered those words. I was quite flattered when he said that, one of the reasons why I love spritzing.

     9.  Horses are my spirit animal and dream pet. I have a great fascination for them as young as I could remember. My constant birthday wish to my parents since I was a wee lass was either a pony or a horse—of course that never came true, but if fate allows, I still consider owning my own horse someday . . . some day. I’d even point and scream “HORSE!” every time I spotted one on the side of the road during our trips to the province. The sight of them makes me happy. One of the most elated feelings I had was around second year college, when the one pulling the horse during a horseback riding trip let go of the rope and allowed me to steer the horse on my own. I can still distinctly recall the fear and exhilaration I had when I felt the horse galloped and I was left to cling onto the reins as my body hopped against the saddle. I felt so free and alive and proud that very moment. It was amaaaaaaaaaazing!

     10.  I enjoy mythology, the paranormal and the occult, but I’m not fond of horror movies; I prefer reading or watching documentaries on the topic. The series Ancient Aliens amuses me especially Giorgio Tsoukalos. Other shows I watch are Destination Truth, Ghost Hunters and Ghost Adventures. One of the first books I read outside of my school textbooks were short stories of Homer’s Odyssey Greek and Roman Mythology. 




No comments: