Sunday, August 10, 2014

The White Temple of Chiang Rai (Wat Rong Khun)




When I realized that our Indochina trip was a go and that we were going to Chiang Mai, I couldn't help but insist going to this place. This wasn't initially in my bucket list, but it immediately became a must-see after I saw photos of the temple online. It's in the province of Chiang Rai, a three-hour ride from Chiang Mai, Thailand. Despite it's modern-artistic-white-washed exterior it's actually a place of worship and is a Buddhist temple. It was such a disappointment that we weren't allowed inside the temple when we got there, but I love the place nonetheless. There's more to Wat Rong Khun than just the usual pictures being shown online. There are museums and wishing areas for visitors. Chalermchai Kositpipat started the project in 1997, but the earthquake last May has resulted into bad damages that they needed repairs in certain areas. Creating a detailed marvel like this cannot be rushed, I just really wish I could have entered the temple when we were there.








Chalermchai Kositpipat is a contemporary artist is the one responsible for building this rather unusual Buddhist temple as made obvious by the elements that he used, but the way I see it, it is a remarkable masterpiece. This was the only white-colored temple I saw in Thailand, and its contrast from other gold-laden temples is strikingly controversial which became the main reason why I had to go here. The detailing is superb! And I can clearly remember myself breathing a sigh of overwhelming disbelief at how beautiful the place was the moment I caught sight of it. I can stare at it in wonder for hours on end, but we were pressed for time so we didn't stay that long.











The entrance is absolutely free and no reservations needed. You can rent a car to take you to the place. You can just wave at a random tuk-tuk that you will see going around the city and have him service you to and fro the temple because it is a little far from the city proper, about 13kms away. We paid him 400 Baht for the service, plus he had to wait for about an hour while we went around exploring the temple complex. You have to haggle for the price. 

To get to Chiang Rai, you can get a bus ride for about 200 Baht from Chiang Mai. We rode the Green Bus and it was fairly comfortable, not to mention how professionally attentive the bus steward was. 

We had to stay the night in Chiang Rai for this, but this was definitely a worthwhile experience for me. There are other stuff to do in Chiang Rai besides this. They also have a bustling night market, and I even managed to buy some pretty cheap but good quality teas in the area.


Address:
Pa O Don Chai Road, A. Muang, 
Chiang Rai, 57000, 
Thailand

1 comment:

Rose said...

Hi! Thank you for the correction and the message. :-) It's sad news about the earthquake :( I hope things are better now...

And don't worry, I WILL be going back to Thailand for sure! I fell in love with your country and people after a very short 6-day vacation. <3