Friday, June 13, 2014

WH Hostel, Bangkok




After shamelessly plugging my blog on their review wall the least I can do is recommend them for being one funky-cosy hostel. And I’m saying that because it is rightfully so. It’s a quirky urban hub smack in the middle of a supposed busy street, about a hundred meters from a 7Eleven and 200 meters from a red light district. The BTS is also “close” enough to walk, about a 25-minute walk should get you to Phloen Chit Station, a station not far from Asok Station where you will find Terminal 21, a must-go-to mall in Bangkok.



I got the inspiration from their bathroom, but also saw them printed on tees.

A nice wooden sign in case of doubt because of the hostel's location.

I like their gate, makes you feel secured with the electronic lock.

Since I came with two architect professors to the hostel, they made it their business to interview the owners as to who was responsible for the concept up stacking up freight containers and turning them into a liveable space. It was genius! Now I’m not gonna get into the details on how they installed the electrical system, just that they made everything work out, the only flaw I’d say they have that was quite noticeable was that their front porch would get pretty wet when the rain pours and they have to transfer all footwear into hiding. There’s also a high possibility of getting wet on your way to the toilet, but management has resolved this by providing umbrellas, still…I got soaked.



I also love the warm lightning they have at night.

This is the opposite side of the hostel...but I think it's their front (?)

This is the main road that they don't recommend you walking at night.


Apparently the place started not so long ago, like three years young, but was packed the whole time we stayed there. It’s owned by an engineer, ran by him, his wife and brother-in-law. They also have a small baby named Poh? Pu? Pho? Around that sound. The full capacity of the place is 20 people, and he said they refuse to accept any more at the moment since they cannot manage too many rowdy foreigners because the place is also their home. I got to experience one of those loud nights when the men who were renting some of the dorms decided to drink a few beers and laugh all night. This is where the sound-proof design of the containers came in handy. One sound that it will not protect you from though is the rain; because there’s no ceiling, water drops directly on the metal causing for a loud dripping noise.


Nice illustrations on the wall of the bathroom.

I think the left sink is dripping, so I used the right.

A total of three toilets and two showers for the ladies.


The thing about WH Hostel that made us all reluctant at first was the common bathroom and toilet for everyone in the hostel. I’m okay with bath areas being shared (except for girls who decide to leave their toiletries lying around,) but doing my number 2s is a very private matter. I was forced to wake up really early just to get ahead of everyone—so it’s not for the self-conscious-when-pooping folks. And bidet! They need it because they have none!


Here's the pantry that you will appreciate WH for.

Outside our room (right green door) and strangers' shoes.

Reminds me of the Korean drama. The concept would make for a good cafe.

Since we came during martial law, I got a lot of viewing interruption.

The bean bags were so comfy that it me kept still for hours. Their reiew wall on the left.


The living spaces are limited, especially the 6-bed dorms, due to the fact that they are made to fit within the dimensions of the containers that you have to walk sideways to get to the other end of the room. Each person is provided with a standard-sized double-decked bed, a pillow, a blanket, a night light, an outlet, and a small crate box with holes for you to insert your own padlock for safety. No free water bottle!

The common area is also my favourite area as it has beanbags, cable TV, free 3-in-1 coffee called Birdy by Ajinomoto, a hot water dispenser, bowls, mugs, plates, utensils, microwave, and even an espresso machine for those who dare use. They also have laundry, and you get to do it yourself by using the washing machine for 30 baht a pop.


In front of 7Eleven is a lady selling refreshing drinks. The milktea was good <3

7Eleven will be your saving grace. I was almost addicted to buying my food there!

Why don't we have Hokkaido milk in Manila!?!? <///3


What made the hostel appealing besides the concept is the vibes of the place as a whole. It’s homey. The guests are young and friendly enough for a casual chat. I even got to speak with a returning guest because he loved the place so much. The owners are also approachable and speak good English that you can easily converse with them during those lazy hours. It’s a good place to meet people, and if not, the red light district is not that far away. Given a chance, I’d definitely be back with friends. They’d love it too.


The kitty outside the hostel.

Because I just had to...


48 Sukhumvit soi 4, Klongtoey, Bangkok
Tel No: +66 (2) 656-9490
Email: info@whhostel.com
Website: www.whhostel.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sometime it becomes very hard to find a well written and well established bog which give you correct and useful information. However, I found this blog and got some relevant information which are really helpful for me.
หอพัก ลาดกระบัง